Thursday, February 25, 2010

How would I answer?

As part of my Lenten resolution, I'm using Loyola University Chicago's Sacred Space reflection booklet (click here for LUC's online reflections). The other day, the booklet challenged me with the "For the Least" reading from the Gospel of Matthew. The disciples ask Jesus, "'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?' He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.'" The reflection booklet then asked me how I would respond to Christ in this situation.

I've heard this reading hundreds of times, and each time I struggle with how I would answer. This Lent, I aim to work harder on living an answer that would be more suitable than my answer has been in the past.

(Sidenote: Charis' For the Least' Social Justice retreat is coming up in May. Check it out!)

-Mary Ellen

No comments: