Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Small bumps in the road

My greatest hope is to incorporate my faith in my daily life. I hope for this in my marriage, in my parenting, in my daily interactions with people, and in my work. I feel capable of doing this when all is well-- when there are no disagreements in my marriage, when my children are engaged and playing happily, when there is no tension in relationships, and when work moves along smoothly. The tougher question for me: "How do I live my faith in the small bumps that we daily deal with?"

How am I incorporating my faith in disagreements? in disciplining and teaching my child? in working out problems? How does my faith come into play when my three year old has a melt down because his piece of sausage broke in half at breakfast and my patience is very thin because this melt down has occurred three times during meals this week? What do I do when the same challenging problem arises again with a person I love? What do I do when I am a placed in a situation that requires me making a difficult decision? What do I do when I am tired and cranky because I was up all night with a child, and it is coming out in my interactions with my family?

My hope and prayer is that the roots of my faith will guide me through these small bumpy moments. How often, though, I fall short. With all my strength, I pray the prayer below:


God be in my head
and in my understanding.
God be in my eyes
and in my looking.
God be in my mouth
and in my speaking.
God be in my heart
and in my thinking.
God be at my end
and at my departing.
— Sarum Primer

Thankfully, when I do fall short, I know the same place I turn to for guidance, God, will give me the courage to reconcile, to apologize, and to try again with a heart and head rooted in faith.

How do I live my faith during the small bumpy times in daily life?
~Becky Eldredge, Everything is Holy Now

No comments: